Title of the document

PM Jointer Issue

Bushwacked

1 hour ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

First thing would be how big of a cut your taking, it sounds like it’s being bogged down.  Have you tried with less down force pressure to see if it happens.  Have you or are you able to check the belt tension?  

Small cuts. Like 32nd heavy. 
E3B2BDDF-7864-4F4F-98F9-0A21DB52ADCB.thumb.jpeg.0a14c5f7a65d1a855c14748c9baa4bcb.jpeg

then sitting in the ground I found me a little metal piece randomly … 

EF47730B-48E6-4734-AD4F-E3C827BE79A6.thumb.jpeg.cb870d91ee772b0c012c76729704851e.jpeg

looked at the pulleys… 

F692DA85-BA4A-4484-AF8F-489316B396F0.thumb.jpeg.d564549773f4a917b65134981e9193c7.jpeg

and figured that’s gotta be it … 

FAC07BE5-E703-4EE2-8E44-C226B3787A9B.thumb.jpeg.9d5397f67b97a49529a5ceac765db9e2.jpeg

E1C449BA-0F19-48AD-9E2C-57D43C0A8DB4.thumb.jpeg.b7682ecadc37ba6f4bfa8ba9ec7368d4.jpeg

got it back in and everything is working like it should again … crazy stuff. Never figure that thing would have wiggled loose like it did. Glad I randomly found it on the ground too haha. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When you reinserted the key into the keyway, was it snug? The key looks a little misshapened in the pic. May want to order another key. If I’m not mistaken, the key is kind of like the shear pins in the old out board motor propellers. They are designed the shear off in case there is an overload, or in the case of the propeller, you hit a stump or rock. Glad that’s all it was.

14 hours ago, Coop said:

When you reinserted the key into the keyway, was it snug? The key looks a little misshapened in the pic. May want to order another key. If I’m not mistaken, the key is kind of like the shear pins in the old out board motor propellers. They are designed the shear off in case there is an overload, or in the case of the propeller, you hit a stump or rock. Glad that’s all it was.

not sure what its actually supposed to look like haha ... it was snug once I got it back in there though. finished milling the last 10 boards just fine. 

You should be good. I’m at a loss as to what holds the pulley to the shaft. The key only, I think, keeps it turning. I don’t see threads in the center of the shaft where a screw and washer would keep it from running off the shaft. How long have you had the machine? 

Coop, the key if machined properly should provide all the tension to keep the pulley to the shaft, hence no need for a screw or anything.  Now since the key came out, I would still try to contact PM cause that shouldn’t come out without some force.  My guess is that the key was never fully seated and over time worked its way out.  

My closest observation similar machine is my bs. Both the upper wheel and lower are secured with a bolt to the shaft, keeping them both co-planer, otherwise there is a chance of a run out on one or the other. There is probably something that I’m not seeing or understanding. My bad. 

11 hours ago, Coop said:

You should be good. I’m at a loss as to what holds the pulley to the shaft. The key only, I think, keeps it turning. I don’t see threads in the center of the shaft where a screw and washer would keep it from running off the shaft. How long have you had the machine? 

I have had this jointer for about 2-3 years now, bought new.

10 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Coop, the key if machined properly should provide all the tension to keep the pulley to the shaft, hence no need for a screw or anything.  Now since the key came out, I would still try to contact PM cause that shouldn’t come out without some force.  My guess is that the key was never fully seated and over time worked its way out.  

I was thinking the same thing ... will still contact them and see what they have to say.

9 hours ago, Coop said:

My closest observation similar machine is my bs. Both the upper wheel and lower are secured with a bolt to the shaft, keeping them both co-planer, otherwise there is a chance of a run out on one or the other. There is probably something that I’m not seeing or understanding. My bad. 

ya its kind of a goofy design ... that little pin helps keep the wheel the belt runs on and the blade head connected. I would assume the the belt drive doesnt need to be exactly co-planer is the blade head is fixed and no chance of run out like the bandsaws