Title of the document

Bushwacked Garage Reno Complete in 2020 sometime ... Hopeful

Chet

On 5/3/2020 at 7:33 PM, Kev said:

Absolutely!  You'll change it 50 times before you get things exactly where you want them..  Just part of the process..

I'll snag you some pictures of my drawers when I get back to the shop..  That may give you some ideas..

I agree......I have been moving things around and around in the shop ever since I got a few drawers to put things in. They change quite often when I get a minute to move them. I’m finding the more time I get in the shop I find little things to help improve the workflow.  

Love the look of the stone path! 

3 minutes ago, Jamie said:

I agree......I have been moving things around and around in the shop ever since I got a few drawers to put things in. They change quite often when I get a minute to move them. I’m finding the more time I get in the shop I find little things to help improve the workflow.  

Love the look of the stone path! 

There's a hidden gem in this comment!

Spare shop time is exactly the right time for these kinds of changes!  If you find yourself sitting at your computer typing on some silly forum looking for shop inspiration, take your back side out to the shop and start the drawer organization! ?

2 minutes ago, Kev said:

There's a hidden gem in this comment!

Spare shop time is exactly the right time for these kinds of changes!  If you find yourself sitting at your computer typing on some silly forum looking for shop inspiration, take your back side out to the shop and start the drawer organization! ?

Haha that is so true! 

But I don’t wanna work on shop organizers, I want to build something fun! Am working on some plans right now, it’s probably good I can’t figure out sketch up or I’d have time looking at the computer screen! Good old pencil and paper for me ?

5 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Haha that is so true! 

But I don’t wanna work on shop organizers, I want to build something fun! Am working on some plans right now, it’s probably good I can’t figure out sketch up or I’d have time looking at the computer screen! Good old pencil and paper for me ?

You won't regret a little sketchup knowledge..  I'm not good at it by any stretch of the imagination.  But, I know enough to get my thoughts in and be able to pull the measurements from it..

There's a couple free videos out there that will get you started and, frankly, that's all I've watched and learned from.

4 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Good old pencil and paper for me

I am the same but I have a big eraser in my kit also. :classic_laugh:

I can see where sketch up can be nice especially for people like Kev or Marc or any number of people that are doing this not just for themselves put for viewers.  It can make their work more precise and organized in the shop. 

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

19 minutes ago, Kev said:

There's a couple free videos out there that will get you started and, frankly, that's all I've watched and learned from.

I have tried that before as well. Get the basics of it and then don’t use it for a time and forget everything I learned in the video ?

I think it could be a really handy tool, just have to use that tool often to stay sharp at it. 

10 minutes ago, Chet said:

I am the same but I have a big eraser in my kit also. :classic_laugh:

I can see where sketch up can be nice especially for people like Kev or Marc or any number of people that are doing this not just for themselves put for viewers.  It can make their work more precise and organized in the shop. 

With respect, I disagree.  I've used it on many projects that have never seen a single minute of video to help me work through design stuff or, just help me find that missing measurement that I can't figure out in my head.

Case in point..  The miter station that I just built (videos coming in a couple months), I wanted a little different measurements than I used for mine.  Different saw and no systainers being the biggest reasons.  I didn't need any "joinery" information but, I did need to figure out the proper width of the modular cabinets to get to the final dimension they were looking for.  By doing it in Sketchup, this was a quick and easy change to a single cabinet dimension and then copy/paste to get the entire bench.  Also, I neglected to account for the swing of the saw in the initial design and was able to quickly re-design the saw table.  I didn't know what the final width was going to be but, I just kept stretching it in Sketchup until I got the clearance I wanted and then pulled a measurement on the drawing which told me what size to cut the shelf.

Additionally, I've used it to figure out is some particular joinery would work (think double domino) in a particular joint or just used it to draw a quick picture to illustrate what I'm trying to explain here.

Now, with all that said, I think if I were starting fresh with design software today, I'm probably go with Fusion 360.  I think it's more powerful and probably a little easier to learn.  

3 minutes ago, Jamie said:

I have tried that before as well. Get the basics of it and then don’t use it for a time and forget everything I learned in the video ?

I think it could be a really handy tool, just have to use that tool often to stay sharp at it. 

I do agree...  It's a "use it or lose it" skill..  I've found that spending a few minutes each day drawing something - anything - helps!  Fortunately, I've had quite a few projects lately that require me to figure something out..  

For the record, all my projects start with me in Sketchup before sending to Mark to do his real magic with for the plans.

• Like 1

I still go the route of AutoCAD .. I have used it ever since tech club in high school where we had drawing competitions we competed in. It has worked fine for me for 20ish years, maybe one day I will switch over to something else, but for now its just easy. Plus, like yall said use it or lose it ... I dont do enough drawings to not lose it, at least for now ... 

1 minute ago, Bushwacked said:

I still go the route of AutoCAD .. I have used it ever since tech club in high school where we had drawing competitions we competed in. It has worked fine for me for 20ish years, maybe one day I will switch over to something else, but for now its just easy. Plus, like yall said use it or lose it ... I dont do enough drawings to not lose it, at least for now ... 

Fair point..  I guess I should modify my comments to remove "sketchup" and replace with some form of CAD software as there are more out there now.

Point being that it's just simply more efficient than pencil and eraser..

29 minutes ago, Kev said:

Point being that it's just simply more efficient than pencil and eraser..

I guess I just enjoy the pencil and eraser thing.  I took three years of drafting in high school and still enjoy the process.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

1 minute ago, Chet said:

I guess I just enjoy the pencil and eraser thing.  I took three years of drafting in high school and still enjoy the process.

In the end, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that!

• 1 month later...

well this has been a wild 4 months or so with Covid ... Been rough working from home and kids out of daycare as well. I did put in PTO for 13-17th, so I am hoping to spend all week in the shop finishing the cabinets and possibly starting something new. I guess we shall see how quickly those doors and drawers end up going ... 

For now though, I was looking for a zero clearance insert for my miter saw, I tried the tape, but it was a noticeable hump in there, so I bought an actual insert ..

2011235609_PhotoJul0385401AM.thumb.jpg.06cd044d5d0d1c850a9ce830a02bcd14.jpg1077016848_PhotoJul0385422AM.thumb.jpg.9a0b0778ba4380d7447ad8c8385a3080.jpg

• Like 1

I would be interested also.  I made some for my Bosch, it was a bit of a pain because the way the original was designed it didn't serve much in the way of a pattern.

4 hours ago, Kev said:

Looking forward to hearing how you like it!  It’s something I’ve been considering as well. 

2 hours ago, Chet said:

I would be interested also.  I made some for my Bosch, it was a bit of a pain because the way the original was designed it didn't serve much in the way of a pattern.

Will definitely let yall know in a little over a week. I have high hopes for it helping out... we shall see though. I mean it cant be worse than the dewalt standard one with like a 1/4 + gap in there or whatever it is .. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

While the top was drying I need something else to start working on, so I chose the shop cabinet doors. Mainly because I see how much mess is getting in there while building the desk, so figured I would start this while I am waiting on the top and then slowly get this down over the next few days or so when I have breaks. 

Got the rails/styles milled up and ready to go ... now just need to cut to length soon and cut out the door panels sometime too. 

Lots of wood for some cabinet doors haha 

1547911159_PhotoJul1590225AM.thumb.jpg.114d4c99c05dd7c5c2d0965baa679a7d.jpg1486521903_PhotoJul15113146AM.thumb.jpg.d9accfb9579f9b60dcc4d58da29e2917.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

then got some cabinet work done as well ..

Cut my slots for the door panels ..  

1867354389_PhotoJul26123750PM.thumb.jpg.99920b04ffa75fac2cd2ef6b5c7ccb7d.jpg

Now all glued up ..

2040237598_PhotoJul2625920PM.thumb.jpg.1fe0779655532c34efea89ed87161f15.jpg

I do love having 2 doors, creates a nice draft through the garage in the summer, also helps keep some of the dust out of my face when using the miter saw when I turn it to blow down that direction ...

70669595_PhotoJul26115234AM.thumb.jpg.c959b4ac4bac969112a54f684af8d813.jpg

• Like 4

got some work done today and yesterday ... and test fitted the doors, however I thought I uploaded them but I guess not and my phone is downstairs so I will get those up tomorrow. 

Got the drill press setup for the 35mm holes ..

1820253951_PhotoJul3134313PM.thumb.jpg.7b1ca18e3f24934b4258ba476fb3f15e.jpg

While laying out the spots for my holes and marking the cabinets as well I was tightening up the double 90 6" ruler I had and the plastic piece busted off. IT was one of those harry epsteins or whatever the site is with the blemished tools. So that was annoying as I really did like it and worked great for the 2 years or so I have had it.

1528941618_PhotoJul3135940PM.thumb.jpg.4fad9f7c26fe3dcc8fad308cee49e39a.jpg

8 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

While laying out the spots for my holes and marking the cabinets as well I was tightening up the double 90 6" ruler I had and the plastic piece busted off. IT was one of those harry epsteins or whatever the site is with the blemished tools. So that was annoying as I really did like it and worked great for the 2 years or so I have had it.

I've had them for quite a few years without issue!  Guess you finally found the blem in yours ?