Title of the document

Bushwacked Garage Reno Complete in 2020 sometime ... Hopeful

Chet

Finished up the first round of finish ... going to sand with 400 and then apply 1 more coat. 

4-27-20.thumb.jpg.53571e683a882832ac61cb62d8c72977.jpg

Once I get that wrapped up I will start thinking about doors on the top for the left and right sides. Not sure about a door in the middle yet. 

Going to go take measurements on those 2 cabs and get final dimensions. On the doors though, going to go with overlay doors though on the top. Still debating doors vs pullout drawers on the bottom. Should I do both? or just pullouts? Not sure whats best. 

1.thumb.JPG.e5a38d8301b4199b76f9d1e6480f2ac2.JPG

Been watching the miter station build on repeat for awhile ?  ... this is what got me thinking about doing both. Although I know you do have several cabinets with just the pullout. What are your thoughts on that? Do you wish you went one way or the other on the open pullouts or the behind the door pullouts?

22 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

1.thumb.JPG.e5a38d8301b4199b76f9d1e6480f2ac2.JPG

Been watching the miter station build on repeat for awhile ?  ... this is what got me thinking about doing both. Although I know you do have several cabinets with just the pullout. What are your thoughts on that? Do you wish you went one way or the other on the open pullouts or the behind the door pullouts?

Actually, all of my pull outs are behind doors except for the Festool ones.  I like having the doors on them to cut down on the dust. 

Bench is looking great!

6 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

Thanks Kev! 

Just curious, why did you not put doors on the festool ones? 

Now the dust really makes me want to put doors on everything. Assuming outside of time/cost of materials, there probably isnt an amazing reason to not have doors?

I didn’t on the Festool stuff because the tools are inside the systainer so, dust really wasn’t an issue.  Plus, I didn’t want to have to open a door, pull out a tray, just to open a box.

I like having the doors on things. If it’s not organized on the inside, you can’t tell ?

30 minutes ago, Kev said:

Plus, I didn’t want to have to open a door, pull out a tray, just to open a box.

Yea, by the time I did all that, I would have forgotten what I was going to do with the tool in the first place.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

37 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

hmmmm interesting thought on that ... I do have several cases for tools. I think, off the top of my head I have around 6 cases/systainers 

The other part is seeing what’s actually there. 

ya measuring everything out right now, since I have an OK idea where I want things ... 

Got the 2 outer cabinets that are going to be used for Systainer type storage with pullouts and doors. Then going to make the inner 2 all drawers, not sure on sizing just yet. Maybe 2 deeper drawers on the bottom then like 6 or 7" on the rest. Like was discussed on the old site, not sure if it carried over. That seems to be a decent idea to get the bigger stuff a home if needed then lots of small storage.

As far as cabinets ... how do you go through your measuring? Do you measure the inside opening then add one the amount of overhang from the door you want? OR is there another way that I am missing?

22 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

As far as cabinets ... how do you go through your measuring? Do you measure the inside opening then add one the amount of overhang from the door you want? OR is there another way that I am missing?

That’s pretty much what I do. If I’m not sure I’m going to like the size, I’ll build a prototype in 3/4 ply complete with hinges and mount the door to be sure. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Coop said:

Have you decided what you are going to do with the upper areas behind the garage door guides? 

Ya I liked the idea of making the shelves at that height and then doors underneath. In the picture .. where the shelves go all the way across will be open and then doors underneath that. It "should" look like the top of the cabinet for the doors against those shelves, even though there will be a little gap between them as they dont sit flush, according to the plan.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kev said:

Actually, all of my pull outs are behind doors except for the Festool ones.  I like having the doors on them to cut down on the dust. 

Bench is looking great!

Was going to say the same thing about the dust.  This has me tempted to put roll outs in the bottom of my miter saw cabinet.  Just makes life so much easier for getting things out.  

If I put roll outs in the miter saw cabinet only problem i see is that Courtney will want them in the kitchen ?

37 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Was going to say the same thing about the dust.  This has me tempted to put roll outs in the bottom of my miter saw cabinet.  Just makes life so much easier for getting things out.  

If I put roll outs in the miter saw cabinet only problem i see is that Courtney will want them in the kitchen ?

I actually put them in the last kitchen. Easy retro that keeps the better half happy!

Just now, Kev said:

I actually put them in the last kitchen. Easy retro that keeps the better half happy!

Im holding off as long as I can,  the plan is in the next few years to redo our kitchen.  Build new cabinets and new hardwood flooring.  Just have to get the shop build paid down first.

• Like 1

If you've used the right hinges, you should be fine..

Just something else to consider...  If you build the doors first, now you have to locate your pull outs around those hinge locations.  If you build the pull outs first, now you have to locate those hinges on your door around your pull outs..

My point is that they really go together.  I would have a rough idea of where you want to pull outs before deciding on hinge location on your doors.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kev said:

If you've used the right hinges, you should be fine..

Just something else to consider...  If you build the doors first, now you have to locate your pull outs around those hinge locations.  If you build the pull outs first, now you have to locate those hinges on your door around your pull outs..

My point is that they really go together.  I would have a rough idea of where you want to pull outs before deciding on hinge location on your doors.

gotcha, makes sense ... 

Had all the hopes to get in the shop and finish building the final 2 shelves for the cabinets and then start milling up door material ... between the kids wonderful attitudes and a stone path from the morning, I did not get much time.

Although, I did get a chance to start putting up the little things to get an idea on them. Not sure on the finish supplies if they should go above the miter saw or not... thoughts? Should they go somewhere on the bottom. All the sand paper on the right might stay up there, but not sure if I will bring it down when I build the smaller cabinets under it to sit on the countertop.

5-3-1.thumb.jpg.6816e72eaa62b748b65250ec565c069e.jpg

The flagstone walk ... Got a picture of the great unicorn working outside ? ... if she ever finds out you will never find my body. 

5-3-2.thumb.jpg.c173bd76d00cab6abba10059a2856423.jpg

• Haha 1

We may be of no help because we don't know how your work flow goes.  Bottom line is you will probably put things in what you think is an ideal place and then end up moving them again and again.  Until you put stuff away and then work in the shop for awhile you won't know if it is a good or bad spot for things.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

I agree with Chet!  

For me, I like my sandpaper lower and not stacked up where I have to fiddle with it to get.  I tear the lids off the boxes and drop them in a drawer so they're easy to get at..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

sounds good ... will just store things up there for now to get them out of the way and then figure out as I go.

I think a lot of the smaller things will change as I go, epecially when I put in those countertop cabinets. 

Absolutely!  You'll change it 50 times before you get things exactly where you want them..  Just part of the process..

I'll snag you some pictures of my drawers when I get back to the shop..  That may give you some ideas..

• Like 1