Jump to content
Title of the document

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 09/20/2021 in all areas

  1. Hey guys sorry this has taken me so long to post. Life has been crazy and haven’t had any free time in quite a while. So the current kitchen project isn’t quite completed, the customer is ok with it not being finished yet as the contractor who is doing the remodel hasn’t shown up yet. Will show you guys the steps for assembly of a base cabinet in this post. Hopefully it makes sense on the Constructon style after this post. This cabinet is a 3 drawer base. Start with the face frame face down on the bench. I did pick up a chunk of carpet to cover the bench for $10 from a local carpet shop. Just a piece of scrap they had laying around. I gather all the ply parts for the cabinet, which can be a little sorting when you first start assembly. While finishing all the parts get mixed around. The cabinet sides get pocket holes placed where they meet the face frame. With this cabinet getting drawers I use a spacer to mount the drawer slides to. Drawer slides attached while the sides are laying flat on the bench. Find this much easier than when the side is attached. Some glue place in the dado of the face frame. With both sides attached the bottom is pocket holed and glue and screwed into place. A cleat is then put in across the top. This is there to have something more substantial to screw through when installing. 1/2” back is then stapled on. In the corners of base cabinets I put in corner blocks. Not there for only stiffness but is gives a place to attach counters to. Some shop made jigs for attaching slides to the drawers. Drawers all in. For the fronts I use a Blum mounting system. Pretty slick with the inserts adjustability. Ran out of room for this post with pictures. The whole project was going all to well until I got into a hurry and tried to move a drying rack full of the doors. Hit a bump in the concrete and the doors fell like dominos. Long story short I ended up with a good gash on my nose and one door completely broken and a handful to fix. So by trying to save a minute it cost me about 8 hours and a bruised pride. It really turned off my motivation for the whole project and even being in the shop. Really can’t wait to have this one behind me so I can get back to making a project that I can have fun with. Don’t read into this the wrong way, I knew what I was getting into when I took this on and it has allowed me to make so nice tool upgrades. Has made me realize why I no longer work in the cabinet business.
    5 points
  2. Bell Forest got back to me this morning. Their bt cost went up to 13.25 + shipping. Even with that, the total cost is $200 and change less than what I would pay locally. I ordered the wood. Now I wait...
    2 points
  3. I wore one of your tee shirts with the full intent of having my friend take a pic of me in front of the Festool booth and darned if I didn’t forget. I even ironed it before I left home!
    1 point
  4. Saw this in a FB group and figured I’d share as I have never seen it like this before .. super simple looking and cuts both side
    1 point
  5. I made some caps for the legs. I started with some blocks 1 3/4" thick and the same width and depth as the legs. I set the table saw blade at 15° and cut the two short sides and then the two long sides, pushing a scrap behind them so I didn't get any digits tangled up in the saw blade. I took some lengths of scraps and made up some molding to go with the caps and also at the base of the legs. I there should be way more then needed of the three different moldings but I don't want to have to go back and recreate something at the last minute. Next thing up was to put a coat of shellac on the panels and the edges of all the stiles and rails before I start the glue ups. I put some blue tape on the edges where glue will be applied. The first glue up was the lower section that has the three panels. When that dried I added the horizontal panels and top rail. After that came out of the clamps I used a flush trim bit and straight edge to trim just a fuzz off of the edges so the legs will set perfectly flush with the panel section. This section was 69" in length and after running the router along it its now 68 31/32"
    1 point
  6. Thanks guys!! yes I went with a film topping as it had a cool pattern however it was put on only with water and static?? I’m not sure how well it will hold up. I wouldn’t recommend the film on it either and I won’t use it again. It was easy to install and everything I just don’t think it is going to last long and not bubble. A couple other pics… it was super hard to get the texture from the film in picture
    1 point
  7. Sorry for not being around much lately. Took a little family trip and have been playing catch up since. We went to Rocky Mountain national park to take in the sites. Was a great time! Only work that I’ve gotten done on the cabinets is getting all the doors and face frames finish sanded. Took quite a bit of time to get through them all. I believe it was right around 7 hours of sanding time. This photo was taken after about 2 solid hours of sanding, the cart on the left was the progress. Will start staining as soon as I get the 1/4” ply skins cut and sanded.
    1 point
×
×
  • Create New...